Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today announced the debut of the MOTO Z8, featuring crystal clear video capture and playback at 30 frames per second and up to 32GB of expandable memory1. The MOTO Z8, the world’s first kick slider, is expected to hit shelves in Europe and Asia in June.
“Today’s media hungry consumers have a hectic, time-pressured, mobile life and they want to be able to access their content whenever and wherever they are,” said Jeremy Dale, corporate vice president, Mobile Devices Global Marketing, Motorola. “We believe the Z8 is the best multimedia platform on a phone today that allows consumers to listen to music, download video, create blogs and store memories simply and seamlessly.“
Eddie Cunningham, president of Universal Pictures International Entertainment (UPIE), added: “It is incredibly exciting that the launch of the Z8 provides film fans with an opportunity to watch world-class movies like “The Bourne Identity” in the best quality ever possible on a mobile handset.”
The Z8 delivers best-in-class design, functionality and hard-to-match experiences with:
- Faster than… — Provides mobile broadband2 at 3.6Mbps HSDPA, among the fastest over-the-air download speeds today, for 10-second song downloads using a combination of OMAP2420 and ARM 11 processors that also provide a powerful platform for multi-tasking. For example, consumers can surf the Web while listening to music, without missing a beat.
- Perfect fit — The unique ergonomic slider design glides open and kicks out for a perfect fit-to-face profile.
- Rock on — Dedicated keys access music in one touch, storage for approximately 1,000 songs3 and stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology optimize the device for mobile music. The MOTOROKR S9 stereo headphones, bundled with the Z8, provide wire-free enjoyment with A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth stereo profiles4.
- Entertainment powerhouse — With approximately 80MB of free internal user memory5 and optional expandable memory up to 32GB with high density microSD memory cards1. On today’s 4GB microSD entertainment lovers can store approximately 12 full-length motion pictures6 or 70 hours of music3.
- Watch this — At 30 frames per second, the large QVGA 16 million color TFT display optimizes the viewing experience in both portrait and landscape mode. The beautiful screen also helps enhance Internet browsing and game play.
- Life recorded — Catch a moment on the fly with an 8x zoom camera and lumi LED light or record and watch memories with video record and playback capabilities.
- My videos — Intuitive UI allows one-click picture or video sharing with friends or easy uploading to chosen social networking Internet sites, such as Flickr, MySpace, YouTube.
- Act fast — The well-designed user interface allows one-click access to phone functions.
According to Gartner, “Mobile TV will become a mainstream service in most developed markets by 2010, at which point it will have close to half a billion subscribers.“…”Expect TV services over cellular (services) to show revenue of just over $100 million in 2006, growing to $15 billion by 2010. Revenue from broadcast TV will grow from $200 million to $10.8 billion over the same period.”7
Motorola brings experiences to life with alliances to make entertainment enjoyment even richer. The Z8 will include, in-box, a full-length film – “The Bourne Identity” from Universal Pictures – and pre-loaded third-party applications from BSkyB and Podcast.com, as well as content from CNN. In addition, high quality games from Electronic Arts’ popular suite of titles will soon become available for download to more Motorola customers.
Z8 users will be able to access mobile content services from BSkyB directly from their handset, such as Sky’s on-demand library of updating news, entertainment and sports. Sky’s ‘Anytime’ application provides an access point to a range of live mobile TV services that include over 30 TV channels2 and allows customers to use their mobile phone to program their Sky+ set-top boxes remotely to record programs and place bets through SkyBet.
In addition to BSkyB, a world of free content is open to consumers with the inclusion of the Podcast.com service, allowing consumers to download their favorite audio and video podcasts direct from the Internet automatically to their handset.
Motorola also announced that it will be extending its existing relationship with Electronic Arts to create a new category of immersive mobile gaming. Through this agreement the company will bring high quality mobile gaming experiences to Motorola customers with the launch of an integrated demo of EA SPORTS BIG “SSX3”.
MOTO Z8 will be available for purchase in Europe and Asia beginning in June. For specific regional availability and pricing, contact your local Motorola representative.
For more information on all of Motorola’s announcements today, please visit www.motorolalaunch.com
Motorola is known around the world for innovation and leadership in wireless and broadband communications. Inspired by our vision of seamless mobility, the people of Motorola are committed to helping you connect simply and seamlessly to the people, information, and entertainment that you want and need. We do this by designing and delivering „must have“ products, „must do“ experiences and powerful networks—along with a full complement of support services. A Fortune 100 company with global presence and impact, Motorola had sales of US $42.9 billion in 2006. For more information about our company, our people and our innovations, please visit www.motorola.com.
About Universal Pictures International Entertainment
Universal Pictures International Entertainment is part of NBC Universal – one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi.
# # #
Certain mobile phone features may not be activated by your service provider, and/or their network settings may limit the feature’s functionality. Contact your service provider for details. All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation.
1 Dependent on market availability
2 Network and/or SIM card dependent feature, not available in all areas. Airtime, data charges, and/or additional charges may apply. Wireless email functionality for the Z8 requires an email account with wireless server capabilities.
3 Based on 4 minutes per song at a data rate of 128Kbps. Storage capacity is approximate and subject to available memory space and encoding method used; actual capacity varies by content.
4 This device supports Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP profiles. In order for Bluetooth devices to communicate with one another, they must utilize the same Bluetooth profile. To determine the profiles supported by other Motorola devices, visit www.hellomoto.com/bluetooth. For other devices, contact their respective manufacturer.
5 Available user memory varies due to the configuration of the phone, which varies by service provider.
6 Based on two hours per movie. Storage capacity is approximate and subject to available memory space, resolution and encoding method used; actual capacity varies by content.
7 Gartner, Inc. “Dataquest Insight: Revenue Model for Mobile TV Needs Tuning” by Carolina Milanesi, 5 March 2007
MOTOROLA and the stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © Motorola, Inc. 2006. All rights reserved.